For countless women and members of the LGBTQ community, street harassment is a sobering truth that is often times both unavoidable and degrading. Street harassment can consist of blatant whistling, explicit cat-calls, or lingering eye contact. These are all actions that extend unsought or undesired attention. Thankfully, the humiliation is on its way to being a thing of the past!
The “Hollaback!” street movement is “a movement to end street harassment powered by a network of local activists around the world.” This network works “together to better understand street harassment, to ignite public conversations, and to develop innovative strategies to ensure equal access to public spaces.”
The “Hollaback!” application provides comfort and a voice to those that are harassed. Here are five reasons why everyone should download and use this app:
1. The application is VERY easy to utilize whenever the situation arises. First, you enter the story and hit the location button so where the harassment occurred is tracked. You have the option to include a picture, details of the incident, and whether it happened to you directly or if you were a witness to the harassment. Also, once you submit your story, you will receive an e-mail requesting the entire incident to be submitted so the Hollaback! website can map it on the local maps.
2. Using “Hollaback!” breaks the silence of street harassment that is often attributed as a women or LGBTQ member’s “price to pay” in society. Furthering this movement’s cause will shift public opinion in a more critical, open-minded direction.
3. The information gathered on the app and website is collected, organized, and then presented to elected officials and policymakers in areas where a lot of street harassment is occurring. Contributing to this movement gives support to a very real problem within our society.
4. Through using the app, a person can spin the harassment into a moment of empowerment by realizing they can take a stance on this issue instead of passively standing by and accepting the injustices.
5. You realize that you are not the only one. On just college campuses alone, 67% of students have experienced harassment. Utilizing this app unites people from all across the nation and is a very powerful reminder that street harassment should not be the norm.
For more information of this application, visit “Hollaback!” in the iTunes store.